Total views

Sunday 13 October 2013

Interesting perspective


What does it mean to be in the north. My whole life, I've referred to where I lived as "north". When I grew up in Goulais river, I was in "Northern Ontario", and made sure I was not lumped into the Ontario to the south... Then I moved to Thunder Bay and it was the same, I was living in Northwestern Ontario, and felt as though that was different from the rest of my home province.  Then, yet again, I moved to a place that craved its' own identity. Greenstone and the 5500 residents definitely have a strong sense of pride in where they come from. The harsh winters, the great "secret" fishing lakes and the absolutely unforgiving winter weather and treacherous highways.  Actually... Come to think of it, in Goulais River and Thunder Bay, we always talked about those same things. The things that made us "different" from everywhere else. The great fishing, crazy winter weather and horrible driving conditions... I've started this blog with this thought to introduce you to something I've noticed up here. 

When I am talking to someone from Whale Cove and I refer to home... Whether the home I am talking about is where I have my childhood memories or where I own my house now... I refer to it as "Ontario". I don't say Goulais River, Sault Ste. Marie or Longlac... I just say Ontario... Because to anyone here... They are all the same.  

Everything in life is relative, and for the first time I can say that I am definitely from the "South". Here's something to think of... I live about 2200 km north of Sault Ste. Marie, and almost exactly 1800 km north of Longlac.  It would be a shorter drive to go to Florida than it would be to drive here. And anyone that lives in Nunavut excluding the residents of Arviat, would call where I live now..."south".  Whale Cove is one of the most Southern places in Nunavut. 
It makes you think, Perspective is an interesting thing. 

Anyways, the last week I have had to get back to life in Whale Cove.  After my trip to Iqaluit, I had to adjust again to the quiet lifestyle of it here. I have started to really make some headway in my class lately as well!  I have my GCHS ENG1D class from last year (Wilson's gr10 class now) to thank for this huge improvement in my class!  Mr. Wilson and I have started a pen pal program between our two classes. My students have really started to take interest in their writing and have started trying to make improvements in their writing and language skills. They have become interested like never before! I'm excited for them to get their first letters back from Wilson's class.  Some of them have already connected on Facebook and are telling me about their penpals. (Hopefully their letters will still be relevant). 

Many of my students have unbelievable stories that they should have the opportunity of sharing with someone who isn't accustomed to the way of life up here. They have done so much at such a young age, they hunt, they fish, they play but most importantly and impressively they survive. The class that they are writing to will get a sneak peak into the lives of true Inuit people.  A great experience for everyone!

As for the weather (the common thing to talk about). The skies opened up last night and dumped a bunch of snow... The winds have reached 70km/hr and have been howling for the whole weekend... And it isn't supposed to stop anytime soon. This seems like something that will become normal for me, and already is losing its appeal to talk about. But. Yea... I think winter might be here. Now I need to find out what I'm going to do with my 4 wheeler!  Haha I don't have anywhere to store it yet... But Sean said I should be okay if I just tarp it up. The quad season is almost over. :(

I wanted to write this tonight to make sure I wished everyone a happy thanksgiving!  I am truly thankful for many things in my life... For my amazing family, for my supportive and caring friends, for the lessons I have learned in life that make me a better person and also for the lessons I will have the opportunity to teach.

Have a great thanksgiving everybody. 








No comments:

Post a Comment