Total views

Thursday 8 August 2013

Do as the Romans Do

August 8th 2013
 
So, I know... I know... Dad told me today that I need to write more often. Seriously, I have a bunch of stories that I know I am now going to leave out because I haven't been writing this enough. I am already slacking! Haha. I am now exactly 9 days into my Nunavut adventure... and I have so much to share. This is more of an experience than I can even begin to explain. Everyday atleast 10 things happen that are worthy of their own blog entry. So I will start where I left off from and be prepared... this may be a long one. ;)

I have had my class for almost the full week now, and they are definitely a challenge! Haha the honeymoon didnt last long. But It is very easy to see the good in every one of these students. They are all genuinely kind people, curious people and most importantly happy people. They are by far the happiest people I have seen. It makes you wonder what people are missing everywhere else. These people here see a summer season that seriously lasts less than a month, a winter season that lasts more than eight; they endure the harshest, coldest, and craziest weather and they definitely depend on their surroundings (caribou and char mostly) to survive. How is it that they are the happiest people? Like I said... it definitely makes you wonder.
So, I have been going on little (polar bear aware) excursions whenever I get the chance. Yesterday I went on a run on the rocks, (by the ocean) I took a million pictures...ill add a few at the bottom of this, but I couldnt get over how gorgeous the run was. I kept stopping to take pictures (and a breath haha). There were places along that run that would and should be on postcards. The waves were really big and the tide was coming in which made for unreal pictures. I saw a million SikSiks, (thats a ground squirrel in Inuktitut). But these aren't normal squirrels. These things are Mutant Arctic squirrels on multiple cycles of steroids. They look like little raccoons almost.
I have also, recently, been thinking about making a purchase... An ATV. It isn't necessary, but it will definitely be a very welcome addition. So today, after school... I bought a Polaris 500. Its just a normal 4 wheeler, but around here it will act as a mode of transportation every weekend to different lakes, fishing holes, caribou hunting grounds and also around town. It will be nice to have for sure. Without it, it is very hard to get out on the land and do much of anything. So... after I bought it... I went on a trip out to the airport just to see how it goes... Its nice. Andy likes it for sure.
My mom and dad have sent up a shotgun for me to use... I now cant wait for it to get here... then i'll be able to go camping, and really enjoy the land, scenery and experience.

Okay, so there are a few things I promised myself when I came up here.

#1. I will save as much money as possible. (i know I just bought a 4 wheeler... how is that saving money?? It's not... but it is allowing me to do what I came up here to do the most... It is allowing me to get out and experience everything there is to experience).

#2. If someone hands me anything and offers it to me to eat... I will eat it without any questions asked. (well today... one of my students came to me after lunch. She said that she had something for me to try. I was really busy trying to figure out what I was going to do for math class “still very new to me this math class thing”, so I told her that I would try it at recess... she simple refused that answer because as she said it... “It is going to melt...you have to eat it now!!” Well, at this point I was curious what it was.. and remembering #2, I decided to just eat it. So I reached into the bag and pulled out a piece of... wait for it... raw frozen caribou. Yep. Raw caribou. They call it Tuktu. It wasn't that bad! Well, picture just eating a slice of a steak straight out of the freezer. ;) not for everyone, but some places (in France) they classify it a delicacy!

I have created a slideshow using my phone, I have attached it along with some pictures. Tell me what you guys want to know about, so I can try to aim to please with this blog! It gives me ideas to write about too!

I miss you guys tons!

Till next time!









1 comment:

  1. Hi! Lovely pictures and the kids are really cute!
    I hope you don't mind an outsider reading this blog, it seems like its mostly written for your family, which is lovely to see.
    I don't know if you saw my other comment on your post "Whale Cove Nunavut, an inside look from a Qabluna", but I mentioned there how I'm currently writing a novel about Inuit in Nunavut, and the community I'm writing about is based on Whale Cove! It's a lovely place, and I always want to know more. Please keep writing, and please give more details about the people, cool Inuktitut words, and just how they do certain things, e.g. how do they hunt, how do they whale, how do they prepare these foods? What's modern about their culture and what's still traditional, do a lot of them speak English, do they all speak Inuktitut? What are the differences from generation to generation? What is different about school there?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete