Total views

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Whale Cove Nunavut: An Inside Look from a Qabluna

So, recently, I... moved to Nunavut... more specifically... a very traditional, extremely cultural and most importantly a welcoming community named Whale Cove, Nunavut (Tikiraqjuaq in Inuktitut).  The people here (99% Inuit) all speak Inuktitut as their first language and English as their second.  They are extremely in touch with their culture and traditions, they hunt nearly everything that breathes, but they do it in a very respectful way.  They hunt to survive.  They definitely do not hunt or fish for that matter for the sport of it.  This is a way of life for them, and the best hunters seem to be very respected by all in the community (probably because these guys bring home the food!)

I decided to give you a little background on the area of Whale Cove, mostly because I have not done so yet and I feel that it is pretty important to know who the people are, what they are about and what the area is like if you are going to be following me and my adventures through the words of this blog.

Inuktitut is unlike any language I have ever heard spoken.  It has many different sounds that I am trying to mimic but have definitely failed to do so (so far).  A few of the Inuit women that work at the school are desperately trying to help me in my attempt to learn at least a few sentences in their language and I was told today that the "k" sound that they make comes from the bottom of their throat.  My "k" sound is a sound that comes from my tongue.  I don't even know what this means!  This may be a long attempt to master their language and I already know there is a good chance it will end in failure, but I am willing to keep trying!!  If nothing else, it shows that I am interested in their language and culture, and that I am willing to try!  The language itself has many "k", "Q", and "ick" sounds... well much more than English.  "Qablunas" is a word I learned very quickly, as far as I know it means "White people", but it could just mean "outsider"... either way... I am definitely a "qabluna"  This isn't a bad thing, like its not a derogatory word at all, just the way it is.  There are Inuks and there are qablunas. 

Lets see, what else can I tell you about with regards to Whale Cove?  Oh... yea, sports here are a basic religion.  The kids here are insanely athletic.  I have a gym class 3 times a week, and right now we are doing basketball.  I have three students that would definitely standout on any sr. highschoool basketball team that I have seen in Greenstone.  Sorry guys!  But it's true.  They have a natural ability that is remarkable.  They all try very hard and put an honest effort into what ever it is that they are playing or doing for that matter... I am excited to play hockey with them as I think they are going to make me look like a horrible hockey player!  ;)  The entire community comes together for sporting events.  Anytime the arena is open for soccer games, or the gym is open for a floor hockey game...it isn't long before the place is packed!  I really like that about here.

One thing that I was thinking about this week was how I could make this blog more interesting and also give you a look into the people and their way of life here.  I was sitting at the lookout (a place that I stop and take pictures from regularly on my way to the lake I've been fishing at) and I couldn't help but think about how crazy it is to think that just 55 years ago Whale Cove (the village, and homes) didn't exist.  The people before this time, were true nomads of the North.  They roamed the land freely, in small families hunting the caribou, muskox, bears, whales, seals and whatever else they could find.  They traveled through unbelievable terrain with nothing other than dogsled teams.  They only had whale and fish oils as a source of fuel.  They used every piece of the animals that they hunted; the meat was eaten mostly raw as there was no source of fuel to cook it; the bones were used for frames, sleds and anything structural that we would use wood for; the furs were used for clothing and  warmth; Everything was used.  This is something that they have kept... they do not waste anything here! Anyways, I'm getting off track.  There are people in this community that once lived this way. There are elders that were born on the land, with no single "permanent" residence, with no calendars and with the most amazing and difficult lifestyle I can imagine!  The woman that I gave my fish to a few days ago, she is the oldest person in Whale Cove.  She is a 92 year old woman that was born in the arctic tundra.  I find this so interesting, not only because she has been through so much in such a short time, but also because of the differences that the Inuit generations have.  Many of my students have facebook, they communicate on their computers and listen to Eminem on their Ipods.  Many of their grand parents and great grand parents were born in such a different world, with no actual way of knowing their birthday.  I was told the other day that it isn't uncommon for an elder to have the birthday of January 1, because they just didn't know the "day" that they were born.  Sometimes they might not even know the year. 

I have only been here for 2 weeks now, but I have already grown a huge level of respect for all the people that call Whale Cove "home".  This is a very unique place, with very harsh conditions, and for these people here... they wouldn't have it any other way.  There is definitely something to be said for that. 

As for me, I am making friends as most of you expected... I am not having much difficulty getting to know the town and I am beginning to feel much more comfortable.  I am going on a caribou hunt hopefully this weekend (I can't shoot anything for a few months as the Nunavut laws restrict that) but I am going along to see how it is done!  I cant wait for this.  I have a great class, and they are coming around and have taken interest in me, my life in Ontario and my stories that I have... things are good.  Looking forward to a few things... our whole school will soon be invited to a beluga hunt, preparation and feast! 

I hope you all are enjoying the posts!  Ill keep writing if you keep reading! 

until next time...Andy




3 comments:

  1. Awesome Andy, sounds like you are enjoying yourself as we know you would.Be careful on your hunt. Hope you get your crate soon. Send that pic of you to dad. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I'm so glad I found this blog. I would love to know more and more about the people in Whale Cove!
    I am writing a novel write now about an Inuit community in Nunavut and I've been basing them off of Whale Cove. I find the place so fascinating, but I'm having trouble finding the real kind of "everyday life" information I need to make it realistic. This is what I needed, and would love to hear more.
    I'm not actually making the place in my book Whale Cove, because well, I've been so afraid of getting my information inaccurate that I don't want anyone there to hear about or read it and get mad at me! Ha ha.
    I am a fellow Qabluna, ha ha. I didn't know that word before! And its great to hear real experiences up there from someone who isn't and Inuk, but loves to learn the culture, you know exactly what to point out as different from our Ontarian culture down here. Thanks again, please keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete